5 Temmuz 2012 Perşembe

Going Down the Wrong Path - submitted by Phil, the Greek

To contact us Click HERE
For those of you who have asked me either by phone or e-mail why I didn't run for the board or why I didn't become a road committee member or chairman, I will give you my explanation now.  I've decided to post this on the blog so that people who don't live in the park can read it before they vote.
For those of you who don't know me or have heard some rumors about me, (1) I am not a member of any group or of "the elite" (as I like to call them),  (2) I'm not a "yes-man",  (3)  I'm not a "lap-dog", (4)  I'm not as smart as some others, (5) I'm an "outsider" and (6) I have a tendency to speak my mind -- no holds barred -- and that sometimes rubs people the wrong way.  Since I have a heavy Greek accent, some people find it hard to understand me (another reason for posting this on the blog).
My opinion was that the future of this park looked flimsy.  Now, I believe it has no future.  I believe the current board is going down the wrong path and looking for answers in all the wrong places.  I say this with every good intention.  I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm sure I will.  I don't think some or all members of the board get where I'm coming from.  They may see me as a troublemaker and a complete pain.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, "I call it as I see it."  With me, what you see is what you get and a lot of people don't like that. Too bad, I'm here to shake up the status-quo.
I believe if the members of the board are more transparent about their decision-making, they will develop trust and that will eliminate a lot of the animosity in the park.  I also believe open and continuous communication is the best thing for the park -- which we were promised but never happened.  I believe perception is everything, and the perception here is not good.  A lot of homeowner's (and landowner's) believe things are being decided without any of their input and a lot of information is being withheld.  When questions are asked, answers are not forthcoming.  Does that make for good communication?  I don't think so.  Everything that has happened or is happening (for that matter) seems to fit into a pattern.  The board comes across with the attitude that “we're in charge, we're making the decisions, so don't interfere or question what we're doing”.  Decisions, I believe, are being made behind closed doors. 
I believe the decision-making process is not and should not be a one or two-man job -- especially when everyone here does not have the technical knowledge or expertise in certain areas where a decision requires it.  With me, if I have knowledge in a particular area, I'll be the first one to open my mouth.  If not, I keep my mouth shut.  I'll be the first one to tell you, “I can't help you”.  With the decision on the road equipment…now that's an area I am extremely knowledgeable in.  I was asked for my input but I truly believe (and now know to be true) the decision on the equipment was made before I was even asked.  It was just for show.  I challenge anyone on the board or the road committee to prove me wrong.
My thing is details and problem-solving.  I pay particular attention to details.  I like to take a blank page and then fill it up, step by step, to get the full picture -- not just put a lot of things together and hope it works.  When I see a problem, I look for ways to fix it.  Again, take for example, the road equipment.  There's a lot more that goes into it beside just buying or leasing a piece of equipment.  In fact, regarding the lease or purchase of equipment, I don't think anyone on the road committee (except for maybe one) has any knowledge about what equipment and attachments are needed here in the park due to road conditions, altitude, snowfall amounts, etc., or -- if and when it comes to hiring an operator -- what his knowledge and capabilities of the equipment are and how a specific road should be maintained.  For an investment of this amount of money and the importance of it to the park, I believe the entire board needed to be fully involved in this decision.  I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!  I believed they should have sat down WITH the road committee and gone over the options they had and everything else that's involved in the kind of equipment we need here and the details of purchasing or leasing of the equipment.  That way they knew they were making the best, informed decision and not just a decision made on expediency and the "bottom-line".
As for following the "chain-of-command"… it doesn't work here in the park.  I've run into that first- hand.  Time and time again, I went to certain committees asking for bids on the Administration building, bids on the fire mitigation, and contracts for the road maintenance.  At first, I was given all different excuses why they weren't available.  Now, I find out there's some kind of trade law that prevents the board from revealing any of the contracts.  Does the board have more rights than I do as a land/homeowner?  If so, could someone please explain that to me? I hope they're ready for me come 1/01/2013.
I could go on and on but I think you get my drift....

Phil (the Greek)

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder