20 Aralık 2012 Perşembe

Lucky's Oblivion - Submitted by a "Friend"

To contact us Click HERE



Ah, anonymous at 5:36 mention of Peyton Waters…
Wasn't Peyton the one who threatened to, "…sue one of our members into Oblivion"???I wonder if Peyton even knows where Oblivion is or how to get there.
Oblivion is about 7 miles straight southwest of San Luis. There are no signs denoting your arrival to Oblivion, but you will know you have arrived when you cannot remember anything you have seen for the last 10 minutes. Not to worry, you’re not losing your mind.  Locals here just call it "sage blind". Sage blind is a bit like snow blind -- only it’s caused by seeing nothing but the sun, dirt and sage for long enough that you simply drift off a bit. It’s a problem if you go through Oblivion and don't wake up in time because you will end up in the Rio Grande River. The trick is to make a hard right before going into the water and head due north until you run into Hwy 142 -- where it crosses the Rio Grande.  Around where the bridge on 142 goes over the Rio, there lives a wild horse named "Lucky". I just always call him Lucky, as I feel he's just “lucky” to be alive -- living out there on the edge of nowhere.  Lucky's easy to spot as he's a large, bay paint with one brown eye, one bright, blue eye and a bunch of scars from a life less easy. Many stop to take pictures of Lucky and, if you ever want to see some, just search "big view mountain land in South Central Colorado" for sale on E-bay. The land flippers that sell dirt down in Oblivion always use his picture. That one cracks me up every time.

One day my son and I were coming back to the Park from fishing up by Platoro and, going over the Rio Grande on 142, I noticed Lucky lying in the ditch along the road. Being a horse owner and lover for many years, I got out and walked down to pay my respects to the old steed. As I got about 10’ from Lucky, he jumped straight up, snorted and glared at me with his one blue eye. Scared the bageesus out of me and I back-pedaled to the truck and drove off. I still don't know if Lucky was just sleeping or just trying to sucker me in closer!

I guess after giving some thought to Oblivion and all it has to offer, Peyton’s threat to sue the member into Oblivion should perhaps be taken more seriously.

And if you ever get to driving out around Oblivion, stop in and say hello to Lucky.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder